Tuesday, 30 July 2013

The Fertility Diet, Sarah Dobbyn

The Fertility Diet
The Fertility Diet
How to Maximize Your Chances of Having a Baby at Any Age
Sarah Dobbyn
Simon & Schuster UK, 2012

I have to admit, what attracted me to this book is its subtitle.  I am all too aware that age is not necessarily on my side in my attempts to conceive and carry a baby to term and I am keen to maximise my chances where I can.

I already eat a pretty healthy diet and follow the usual lifestyle advice for women who wish to get pregnant.  I eat organic, home-cooked food, gave up coffee, alcohol etc and follow the advice on sites like Naturally Knocked Up and Wellness Mama

The Fertility Diet was recommended to me on Amazon.  I wasn't convinced I needed to read it so checked out the reviews which ranged from 'the woman is crazy' to 'I got pregnant at 42 because of this book'.  So I  tried to find a copy of the book in the library catalog to no avail but my google skills did uncover a comment by the author on a ttc forum claiming to have conceived and birthed a child when she was 44.  This gave some credence to the claims about maximising your chances at any age.

Sigh.

So I ordered it.  Even as I am giving away books to charity shops before we move to Australia, I am replenishing the shelves...

Whats it all about?
Actually, the author covers many, many different aspects of TTC.  In addition to the usual nutrition/lifestyle/exercise/environment advice she also looks at fertility blockers, detoxing and aspects of natural living so its not just about what you eat.  Each chapter concludes with an 'action plan' - bullet points of steps to take to put the recommendations in that chapter into action in your life.

I enjoyed the initial chapters about the 'Ingredients for Baby Making' and 'Pushing Snooze on the Biological Clock' - they gave a rundown on the biological conditions for conception, how aging affects these and how aging can be slowed down citing various research studies.  These chapters give me good hope as from this perspective, my fertility age is probably not the same as my chronological age due to an inordinately healthy childhood which established a lifetime of good eating habits.

I found the chapters on the Fertility Diet itself quite boring with lists of various foods and their benefits, without the backup of research references, but it also reinforced that I've been eating the right sort of foods to maximise my chances (and that I know way too much about the subject).

I don't have any specific fertility issues, so I skipped through all of those chapters except the one on miscarriage, though I didnt learn anything new to prevent losing another baby. 

Was it worth buying?
I am glad I bought it.  It gives me hope and reassurance I am maximising my chances.  I learned that I pretty much follow the Fertility Diet in my day to day life and that my recipes are more interesting and tastier than the ones in the book.

I will take on board the idea of increasing my intake of raw foods, using digestive enzymes and ensuring I get enough natural sunlight (an effort in London when you work full-time) and quality sleep.  I will also stop drinking tonic water - which is one of my non-alcoholic drinks of choice as quinine is apparently associated with miscarriage.

I'll leave the suggestions on colonic irrigation, lunaception, drinking sole and taking loads of additional supplements - for now.

We'll see how it goes.

L.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...