Saturday 17 August 2013

Spicy Mackerel Ceviche

I asked Mr Duncan to send me the picture of the salad I made last night and he sent me three pics... the one I requested and two meals I had forgotten I even made!

A few weeks back I went in to Mr Duncan's office to review a presentation being given by one of his colleagues in application for a design award.  She was keen to get feedback from someone who worked in the same industry, but not the same company, to make sure the presentation wasn't too full of jargon or missing the brief.

I turned up a few minutes early so wandered around the bookshop next door.  A book entitled Ceviche caught my eye.  I LOVE marinated raw fish.  The fish flesh 'cooks' in the acids in the marinade.  My mother used to make the South Pacific version with freshly caught fish swimming in rich coconut cream.  I've since expanded my horizons into the coastal South American version known as ceviche but have only ever made it with white fish or prawns.

We bought some fresh mackerel with our box from Abel and Cole this week as it was on special and oily fish is on my list of nutrient-dense foods to focus on.  Could you even make ceviche with oily fish?  I had a quick flip to the back of the book and found mackerel in the index.  Woohoo!  Dinner planned.

Flicking through the book quickly, I also learned the name for the marinade is 'tiger milk' and it is so highly prized that people drink it on its own without the fish.  I think tigers are native to Asia, so might just take that information with a pinch of salt.  Marinade-wise I went with a lemon and orange juice mix because I didn't have enough lemon and there was fresh oj in the fridge, but there are loads of different flavour combinations you can try so do some research and experiment.

Fertility Focus
Mackerel - Oily cold water fish are a dietary source of essential fatty acids which enhance egg and sperm health, increase the quality of your ewcm and regulate your hormones.   Mackerel is also rich in vitamin D.

Ingredients
  • Fresh mackerel
For the marinade
  • Finely chopped onion
  • Lemon juice
  • Orange juice
  • Finely chopped fresh chilli to taste
Method
Bone and fillet the mackerel.  Peel off the skin, but its okay to leave the silver colour.  Mix together the marinade ingredients in enough quantity to cover the mackerel.  Pour over the mackerel and leave to marinate for a few hours.  The fish is 'cooked' when it is no longer translucent.  Drain off the bulk of the marinade and serve.

London still enjoying somewhat of a heatwave, I served the ceviche atop a tomato and cucumber salad, then we had the rest on toast for breakfast the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...