Wednesday 30 July 2014

So, what worked? New baby edition.


My notes.


Breastfeeding 

It was a challenge.  I tried all the different positions recommended by the lactation consultant.  I finally got a good latch once I lay her down beside me and let her do her thing.

Yes to lanolin.
 
No to disposable breast pads.  They are uncomfortable and scratchy to wear.

Yes to shelf-bra-singlets under T-shirt for feeding.  

I had intended to make some nursing tops but haven't quite got there and probably wont.

Lactation cookies never quite made it to the oven.  I actually just threw all the ingredients into a smoothie with a banana and milk instead of the flour.  


Settling

I bought the fit ball for birthing, and it is good for using to ensure good posture when seated at my desk.  It is also great for soothing Pickle when she is crying during the witching hour, just holding her close, bouncing gently.

I use the All purpose pillow - for feeding and also to prop her up after feeding when she has wind.

The first two weeks

I had a freezer full of food but both my and Mr Duncan's brains were too fried to remember what to do when and simply forgot to eat regularly the first couple of days home.  Cue crying meltdowns due to low blood sugar.

I ended up commandeering my office whiteboard and in a quiet five minutes each night planned meals and snacks for the next day so we had something to refer to among the general chaos.

I also created a list of everything needed in the bathroom to give her a bath after the first few nights of forgetting stuff.

I am now making quick and easy food that can be eaten on the go like quiche and muffins.

Sleep promotes sleep.  Putting Pickle down in her cot at first signs of tiredness seems to work the best.

Baby-wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment